CELEBRATING PENTECOST SUNDAY—THE BIRTHDAY OF THE CHURCH!
What a joy it is to come together to celebrate the birth of the early church through the power of the Holy Spirit! The Holy Spirit empowers God’s people to spread the gospel, encourage one another, and further God’s Kingdom. Our passage this morning encourages us to remember that there are many different spiritual gifts, but they are given by the same Spirit to equip us to help one other in the Body of Christ. Note: Communion will be served as part of our celebration of Pentecost.
Sunday, June 5 – Pentecost Sunday! Communion Sunday! Celebrate June Birthdays!
Sunday, June 19 – Father’s Day!
Sunday, June 26 – Joint Service with Spirit & Truth Church!
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE…
Wit and Wisdom:
– A good laugh is sunshine in a house.
– Often the truth spoken with humor and a smile will penetrate the mind and reach the heart.
– Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
- Pastor Pitshou Mavinga preached from John 11 last week. The dearly-loved Lazarus had just died, and his sister, Martha, was upset with Jesus for not ________ before her brother died.
- Martha didn’t understand that Jesus is God so He is everywhere (omnipresent) and all-powerful (omnipotent). Jesus’ power is not _________ by space or location.
- The Jews, also, didn’t get who Jesus was. In fact, when Jesus declared that He and God the Father are one, the Jews sought to kill him, believing his words to be outright __________.
- But Jesus continued declaring the truth: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me, though dead, will _____, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.”
- Jesus _______ is THE SOURCE OF LIFE.
- Since Christ is the source of life, those who are in Christ have the life of God ___ them!
- When someone does not have the life of God in them, they are ______.
- We who have Christ, the source of life, in us, must not keep this good news to ourselves! We must pass it on to the _____ generation.
- In fact, it is our responsibility to speak the Word of God—to our families, co-workers, _______, neighbors, and everyone—because they all need Jesus!
- Pastor Pitshou said that our responsibility as believers is to speak God’s Word to others, and it is the responsibility of the Holy Spirit to do the rest, convicting their hearts and _________ them to understand who God is.
- Jesus declaration that He is the resurrection and the life is a precious promise to us today. As children of God, we need not fear death because it is simply the _________ into eternal life where we will see our Saviour face-to-face and be with Him forever!
|live dead helping arriving Christ passage next in limited blasphemy friends|
We rejoice that we can now worship and sing without masks! For those who want to continue wearing masks for added protection, we encourage you to do so. As our communities recover from the impact of the pandemic, may the Body of Christ at Midway be known for our love for one another!
DONATIONS FOR THE PEOPLE OF UKRAINE
If you would like a way to securely and effectively help the people of Ukraine, Covenant World Relief provides a way to give. Donors can be sure their money is going to bring relief and resources to the people. Here is a link to their giving website: https://giving.covchurch.org/priorities-detail/ukraine-response
THANK YOU TO…
Dennis Brass and Pastor Shaun for moving the big blue clothing bin away from the portable!
Dale Dowsing for bringing a big food donation from the Des Moines Food Bank for next Tuesday’s Community Feeding!
MJ Higgins for the wonderful Pentecost decorations you put up throughout the church! They’re so beautiful!
Brad and Ruth Hill for taking several bags of clothing (from the blue bin) to the Clothing Bank!
Ministerio Church workers for shampooing the carpets in the Fellowship Hall, Narthex, and Sanctuary! They look amazing!
The Marshallese Church Youth who have been mowing and cleaning up around the church property!
1. Praise for the powerful sermon from Pastor Pitshou last Sunday!
2. Praise that Jesus is indeed the resurrection and the life!
3. Pray for the light and love of Jesus to shine to our Midway neighbors as we pursue feeding the hungry and providing hot showers to those in need.
4. Please continue to pray for our Midway family and friends who are facing ongoing health issues.
5. Keep praying for the situation in Ukraine.
6. Pray for strength, health, and protection for the first responders & front-line workers in our communities.
7. Keep praying for our nations and leaders around the world.
June 5: Rev. Shaun Higgins, 1 Corinthians 12:1-13
June 12: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 7:13-25
June 19: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 8:1-14
June 26: Rev. Shaun Higgins
Help yourself to a free hymnal while supplies last! The gently-used hymnals are available on a table in the Narthex.
CHURCH & OFFICE INFORMATION
- The Church Office is open Tuesday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Office phone number: 206-878-4861 // Office email: email@example.com
- Sunday Morning Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (or online at live.midcov.org)
- Children’s Sunday School: 10:30 a.m. in upstairs classrooms
- Men’s Bible Study Breakfast Group: Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. at Tuscany’s in Des Moines