THE SEASON OF ADVENT
Twinkling lights and candles everywhere remind us that Jesus is the light of the world that came to dispel the darkness. Each candle on the Advent wreath is lit on a subsequent Sunday during the four weeks of Advent readings. The 3 purple candles stand for Hope, Preparation, and Love. The pink candle stands for Joy. The white candle stands for Jesus Christ, our Savior. Christians observe the four weeks leading up to Christmas Day as a special time to prepare and quiet their hearts, set aside the hectic pace of the holiday season, and worship Jesus, God’s Son!
- Sunday, November 27 – First Sunday of Advent!
- Tuesday, November 29 – Feeding the Hungry!
- Wednesday, November 30 – Women’s Bible Study!
- Thursday, December 1 – Men’s Study!
- Saturday, December 10 – Women’s Christmas Tea!
SUNDAY MORNING BIBLE STUDY
Please join us at 8:45 a.m. on Sunday as Brad Hill leads us through “Adventures in Advent!” In this study, Brad will guide us on an exploration of the story of Christmas using the order of Advent candles. Each Sunday we will light a new advent candle and study that week’s theme. Please plan to join us!
WOMEN’S BIBLE STUDY
Ladies, please join us as we study God’s Word and pray together! Mug ‘N Muffin is an opportunity for women to gather on Wednesdays from 10 to 11:30 a.m. We are studying the Gospel of Luke, using a NavPress Life Change booklet. Women are welcome to choose their personal level of engagement—from just showing up on Wednesday to deeply exploring the text. See you on Wednesday, November 30—our last meeting before the December break!
MIDWEEK POTLUCK/BIBLE STUDY
Since December is a busy time for so many, the midweek potluck/Bible Study will not be held this month. We will start up again next year, on January 5, 2023!
WOMEN’S CHRISTMAS EVENT IN DECEMBER!
Women of Midway, Ministerio, and UCC Marshallese Churches, please mark your calendars and plan to join us on Saturday, December 10, for a Women’s Christmas Event to remember! Look forward to a time of refreshment centered around the theme: Let every heart prepare Him room! Come for fellowship, tea, and encouragement from God’s Word!
How much do you remember? Fill in the blanks from the box below.
- Last Sunday, Pastor Shaun preached from Psalm 84, where the Psalmist speaks of his pilgrimage as a follower of God.
- Pastor Shaun reminded us that a pilgrimage is a long and ________ road, consisting of valleys, dry places, frustrations, and even times of weeping.
- Verses 5-7 explain: “Blessed is the one whose strength is in You, whose ______ is set on pilgrimage.”
- How does the Psalmist view his pilgrimage? Does he complain or look for a broader, easier path? No! He says, “Blessed are those who dwell in Your house, O God; they are ever praising You. My soul longs, even ______, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and flesh cry out for the living God.”
- How can we, like the Psalmist, keep our faith and not let discouragement rob us of our hope? Pastor Shaun explained that we need to hold tightly to the ______ of faith, remembering what Hebrews 12 says, “Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus.”
- Pilgrims who have gone before us, through the same valleys of loss and discouragement, have paved the way for us with springs of ___________ and blessing. We can rely on these blessings that God has provided for us in our times of deepest need!
- May we focus on God to the very end, looking to ____ to sustain us.
|shield faints refreshment winding Him heart|
NEEDS OF THE LIGHTHOUSE MINISTRY
Last month, we had the privilege of hearing from Bobbie Jo and Sarah from The Lighthouse, a local ministry that is bringing healing and hope to survivors of domestic abuse. Last week, we asked them what needs we can help them meet during the Christmas season. Their current high-need items are baby wipes, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies. If you are able to contribute, they would be grateful! You may bring items to the church office throughout the month of December.
NEEDS IN THE CHURCH FAMILY AND COMMUNITY
Worship/Praise Team: Have you ever considered putting your beautiful voice and leadership abilities to use on the worship/praise team? If so, talk to Laura or Erica!
Sound/Tech Team: If you have a desire to serve on the tech team and would like to be trained by none other than our very own Josh, let him know!
Reminder to Keep the Heat In! With the onset of cold weather, the church building’s heat is on. In order to keep our boiler system from breaking down, we cannot prop outside doors open during the winter months.
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE…
From the mouths of children:
— Asked what we can learn from the parable of the Good Samaritan, a 5-year-old replied: “It teaches me that when I am in trouble, somebody should help me.”
— After a time-out, a little boy asked, “How come if God wants us to be good, He lets bad things come into our heads?”
1. Praise that God strengthens us for our pilgrimage!
2. Pray for several families from Midway and our sister churches who are sick.
3. Keep praying for all of our Midway family and friends who have health issues.
4. Continue to pray for the situation in Ukraine.
5. Keep praying for the light and love of Jesus to shine from our church family to our Midway neighbors.
6. Pray for strength, health, and protection for the first responders & front-line workers in our communities.
7. Keep praying for the nations and leaders around the world.
November 27, 1st Sunday of Advent: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Isaiah 2:1-5
December 4, 2nd Sunday of Advent: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Isaiah 11:1-10
December 11, 3rd Sunday of Advent: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Isaiah 35:1-10
December 18, 4th Sunday of Advent: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Isaiah 7:10-16
CHURCH & OFFICE INFORMATION
- The Church Office is open Tuesday through Friday, from 10 a.m.
- Office phone number: 206-878-4861 // Office email: email@example.com
- Sunday Morning Bible Study: 8:45 a.m. in the Prayer Room
- Sunday Morning Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary, or online at live.midcov.org
- Children’s Sunday School: 10:30 a.m. in upstairs classrooms
- Feeding the Hungry: Tuesday from 2-4 p.m. in parking lot
- Women’s Bible Study: Wednesday, 10-11:30 a.m., in Fellowship Hall
- Men’s Morning Bible Study: Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. at Tuscany’s