- Tuesday, August 2 – Feeding the Hungry!
- Thursday, August 4 – Men’s Group!
- Tuesday, August 9 – Leadership Team Meeting!
- Saturday, August 13 – Playground Work Party!
NEEDS IN THE CHURCH FAMILY AND COMMUNITY
Feeding the hungry: Volunteers are welcome as we prepare and serve up meals for our community!
Outdoor Volunteers: We have several projects in the works here at Midway.J If you’re available to help Dennis out, come by during the week. You’ll get the added blessing of his company!
Rides to church: If you are interested in providing transportation, even once a month, for one or more of our homebound, please let Lori-Lee know.
HUMANITARIAN AID FOR UKRAINE
What a blessing that the Gospel Russian Baptist Church in Des Moines is collecting donations for a shipment they are preparing to send to the suffering, innocent people of Ukraine! Items they need: Clothing – new or gently used coats, hats, shoes, socks; Supplies – diapers, first aid kits, shampoo, deodorant; Warmth – sleeping bags, thermal clothes, blankets. You may bring donations directly to them at 1807 S. 223rd St. in Des Moines on Saturday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., or you may bring items (in cardboard boxes) to our church office. Note: we at Midway need several cardboard moving boxes for clothing that we will be boxing up to donate to them!
HIGHLIGHTS OF JULY 12 LEADERSHIP TEAM MEETING
1. We noted that with the loss of one renter, we may soon be in the negative financially.
2. There are currently three churches requesting rental space.
3. We approved the nomination of Gerald MacDicken to the LT, to be voted on at the Semi-Annual Meeting.
4. We completed plans for the Semi-Annual Meeting July 17.
5. We approved two constitutional changes to present at the Semi-Annual Meeting.
6. We approved language to add to our event rental agreement to increase protection from lawsuits.
7. We discerned that partnering with Jones Community Solutions was incompatible with hosting a preschool.
8. We continued our discussion of opening a preschool, continuing to trust the Spirit’s leading on moving forward to not. Will invite the Body to help in the discernment process at Semi-Annual Meeting.
Ruth Hill, Chair
We rejoice that we can now worship and sing without masks! For those who want to continue wearing masks for added protection, we encourage you to do so. As our communities recover from the impact of the pandemic, may the Body of Christ at Midway be known for our love for one another!
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE…
— A sure-fire way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes all day.
— No matter how far you push the envelope, it will still be stationery.
— To make sure other people take your advice, find out what they want to do, and then tell
them to do it.
How much do you remember? Fill in the blanks from the box below.
- Last week Pastor Shaun preached on Romans 10. Pastor spoke of the Jews’ frustration at being told by the Apostle Paul that, in spite of their surpassing ______ knowledge and zeal about the law, they were completely missing the mark.
- Unfortunately, their extensive knowledge about God was an end in itself and fueled self-righteousness rather than a transforming relationship with God. What is the Greek term for such head knowledge? Gnosis
- What was Paul saying they were lacking? An ____________ understanding of God—a personal, heart-transforming relationship with Him.
- What is the Greek term for knowing and experiencing God in one’s heart? __________
- As Pastor Shaun explained, when you’ve had an epignosis, you can’t help but proclaim it! It’s like an involuntary compulsion, an overwhelming need, to share your _________ story of God’s redemption:
–how you were without hope until you heard the gospel and accepted Christ into your heart;
–how good God has been to you;
–what God has done in your life.
- Remember, faith comes by hearing the message, and the message is heard by you and me sharing our testimonies of what God has _____!
- We never know who around us is weary of living in darkness and longing for a ________ way.
- Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved! Who might you bring the light of Jesus to this week?
|done experiential better personal head epignosis|
1. Praise for epignosis faith that transforms hearts!
2. Praise for the community member who came by on Tuesday for food and responded to the invitation to give his heart to Christ! He was baptized by Pastor Shaun down at the Des Moines Marina!
3. Continue to pray for the Men’s Group that is meeting on Thursday nights.
4. Continue to pray for the situation in Ukraine.
Keep praying for our Midway family and friends who have health issues.
5. Keep praying for the light and love of Jesus to shine from our church family to our Midway neighbors!
6. Pray for strength, health, and protection for the first responders & front-line workers in our communities.
7. Keep praying for our nations and leaders around the world.
July 31: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 11:1-10
August 7: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 11:11-24
August 14: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 11:25-36
August 21: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 12:1-21
CHURCH & OFFICE INFORMATION
- The Church Office is open Tuesday through Friday, from 10 a.m.
- Office phone number: 206-878-4861 // Office email: email@example.com
- Sunday Morning Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (or online at live.midcov.org)
- Children’s Sunday School: 10:30 a.m. in upstairs classrooms
- Feeding the Hungry: Tuesdays from 2-4 p.m. in parking lot
- Men’s Group: Thursdays at 6:30 p.m.