ROMANS: POWER FOR SALVATION!
In this sermon series, we are continuing our study of foundational theological truths for the Christian life, from the sinfulness of humanity to the atoning work of Christ and the transforming power of the Spirit. It is not enough merely to know the gospel; we must, like the Apostle Paul, let it transform us, and let God impact every aspect of our lives!
- Thursday, February 3 – Midweek Fellowship!
- Tuesday, February 8 – Leadership Team Meeting!
We are excited to announce that we will be going out into the Midway community to do in-person outreach. What a wonderful way to share our faith and invite our neighbors to Midway! If you’ve always wanted to share the gospel but haven’t had someone to go with, this is your chance! If you’ve always wanted to participate in something like this but haven’t known how to go about it, this is your opportunity to learn! For more information or to express your interest, talk to Ken Walugembe.
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE…
A mom returned from the grocery store and began putting away the groceries. Her young son opened the box of animal crackers and began spreading them out on the kitchen table. Then he began to study each one. “What are you doing?” she asked him. Her son replied, “It says on the box not to eat them if the seal is broken. I’m looking for the seal!”
ADULT CHRISTIAN FORMATION STUDY!
Theme: Faith in Action – Hebrews 11
Teacher: Brad Hill
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1
Faith in Action is the unifying theme for this eight-week series. We are focusing on the heroes and heroines of the faith listed in Hebrews 11, who put their faith into action. Please join us as we put each of these persons into a flowing narrative that not only unifies this concept but also illustrates what “faith in action” looks like and gives us power – not just to emulate them, but through the Holy Spirit, to live a life of empowered faith!
Please plan to join us on Thursday, February 3! Note that Midweek Fellowship is on Thursdays now! We share a potluck meal at 6 p.m. and then break out for Bible Study from 7-8 p.m. Hope to see you there!
Potluck Details: If your last name begins with A-K, please bring a side dish; L-R, please bring a dessert; S-Z, please bring a main dish.
Bible Study Details: Come join your Midway Family as Gerald MacDicken continues this inspirational journey through these beautiful and inspiring songs of praise, thanksgiving, and lament. Participants are invited to rediscover, or see for the first time, why you can put your hope in Jesus, the Shepherd, Savior and King! If you have any questions, you may email Gerald MacDicken @ email@example.com.
- From Romans 2, Pastor Shaun drew a comparison between those who called themselves Jews and those who call themselves Christians. He said that a _____ or label means nothing if you don’t live up to it.
- In this passage, the Apostle Paul called the Jews out for dishonoring God. He told them a person is not a Jew if he is only one _________.
- Question: What did Paul mean by that? Answer: It’s not enough just to have head knowledge and be able to _______ God’s laws (gnosis). Paul wanted these Jews to understand that they needed to ______ God personally by letting his Word penetrate their minds and transform their hearts (i.e. epignosis).
- Similarly, a Christian, or Christ-follower, is someone who not only knows they are a sinner but who is convicted of their sin and ______ their life over to Christ to let Him transform them.
- It is meaningless to perform the rituals of religion without letting God transform your heart and _____.
- It’s absolute nonsense to hold onto something–like an _________ for a deadly disease–but not take it (or not share it with someone who needs it)!
- We are called to be the light – to let the love of Christ shine through us!
|know antidote outwardly name life recite turns|
COVENANT NEWS FROM AROUND THE SOUND & BEYOND…
Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF)
Our mission at MAF is to share the love of Jesus through aviation and technology so that isolated people may be physically and spiritually transformed. As an example, last year, MAF brought a group of local evangelists to a newly opened airstrip in the mountains of Papua, New Guinea. Villagers there had been asking for years for someone to come live with them and teach them about Jesus. For several months, the evangelists taught the story of salvation from creation to Christ. Praise the Lord that there is now a group of believers in this remote village! Since 1945 when Mission Aviation Fellowship was founded, we have recognized the value of friends like you who come alongside the ministry, supporting our work with your prayers and gifts. Thank you for your prayerful support! Thank you for sharing financially as the Lord leads and enables you. –Craig & Karen Hamlow
1. Praise for a church family that genuinely cares about and prays for each other!
2. Continue to pray for all who are fighting flu and Covid-19 viruses.
3. Continue to pray for those in our church family who are experiencing mobility challenges.
4. Continue to pray for our nation and leaders.
January 30: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 3:1-20
February 6: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 3:21-31
February 13: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 4
February 20: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 5:1-11
CHURCH & OFFICE INFORMATION
- The Church Office is open Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Office phone number: 206-878-4861 // Office email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday Morning Bible Study: 8:45 a.m. in the Library
- Sunday Morning Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (or online at live.midcov.org)
- Children’s Sunday School: 10:30 a.m. in upstairs classrooms
- Women’s Discipleship Lunch Group: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall
- Midweek Fellowship: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall
- Men’s Bible Study Breakfast Group: Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. at Tuscany’s in Des Moines