February 6 is the first Sunday of the month, and we have the privilege of celebrating communion together. If you will be joining the service via live-stream, you are encouraged to prepare in advance.
ROMANS: POWER FOR SALVATION!
In this sermon series, we are continuing our study of foundational theological truths for the Christian life, from the sinfulness of humanity to the atoning work of Christ and the transforming power of the Spirit. The Apostle Paul urges us to not simply know about the gospel, but to
let it transform us, and to let God impact every aspect of our lives!
- Sunday, February 6 – Communion Sunday!
Celebrate February Birthdays!
- Tuesday, February 8 – Leadership Team Meeting!
- Thursday, February 10 – Midweek Fellowship!
ADULT CHRISTIAN FORMATION STUDY!
Theme: Faith in Action – Hebrews 11
Teacher: Brad Hill
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1
Faith in Action is the unifying theme for this eight-week series. We are focusing on the heroes and heroines of the faith listed in Hebrews 11, who put their faith into action. Please join us as we put each of these persons into a flowing narrative that not only unifies this concept but also illustrates what “faith in action” looks like and gives us power – not just to emulate them, but through the Holy Spirit, to live a life of empowered faith!
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE…
One day when Dad was driving with his young daughter, he honked his horn by mistake. “I did that by accident,” he told her. “Yes, I know, Daddy,” she said. Surprised at his daughter’s perception, he asked, “How do you know that?” She replied, “Easy! You didn’t lower your window and holler at the other driver.”
DONATIONS FOR DES MOINES FOOD BANK
Starting this Sunday, February 6, we will have a donation bin in the Narthex where you can place food and non-food items for the Des Moines Food Bank. If you would like to support their efforts to feed the hungry in our community, they would be grateful! Following is a list of high-need items:
FOOD ITEMS – cereal, canned corn, fruit cups, pasta, low-sodium soup, 100% fruit juice boxes
NON-FOOD ITEMS – laundry detergent, pet food, soap, toilet paper, diapers (size 4, 5, 6)
We encourage everyone to continue to follow the CDC’s guidelines for indoor gatherings and to take whatever precautions they feel are necessary. Thank you all for your patience and understanding.
Please plan to join us on Thursday, February 10! We share a potluck meal at 6 p.m. and then break out for Bible Study from 7-8 p.m. Hope to see you there!
Potluck Details: If your last name begins with A-K, please bring a main dish; L-R, please bring a side dish; S-Z, please bring a dessert.
Bible Study Details: Come join your Midway Family as Gerald MacDicken continues this inspirational journey through these beautiful and inspiring songs of praise, thanksgiving, and lament. Participants are invited to rediscover, or see for the first time, why you can put your hope in Jesus, the Shepherd, Savior and King! If you have any questions, you may email Gerald MacDicken @ email@example.com.
NEWS FROM THE GIDEONS INTERNATIONAL
A letter from Vince LaPoint, Camp Chaplain for The Gideons in Kent-Des Moines
The last couple years have been a challenge for everyone! In spite of all the difficulties and obstacles, two things remain constant: first, our Lord remains fully in control, and second, people have not stopped needing the Lord! Thanks to generous contributions to The Gideons International ministry, we’ve been able to purchase and distribute Scriptures to thousands of people in our community. In addition, we have been invited into churches to teach congregations to go out into their communities to share the gospel. Brothers and sisters in Christ, be of good cheer. Our eternities are in His hands!
- From Romans 3:1-2, Pastor Shaun pointed out __________ to being a Jew, including being entrusted with the very words of God, and being responsible for preserving, maintaining, and presenting God’s Word.
- The Jews had Covenantal promises that were exclusively from God to them, some conditional and some _____________. God promised them peace and prosperity if they continued to abide by His statutes, and severe consequences if they turned their backs on Him.
- Pastor Shaun recalls similar standards from his ____________. His grandfather (and father) would say to their teenage sons, “I have rules in my house that you are going to abide by.” And his grandmother would add, “If you don’t, there’s gonna be some smoke in the city!”
- Being entrusted with the Word of God is the most beneficial thing anyone can have. It makes no sense letting it sit on a shelf unread. After all, it is the ___________ manual for our lives—from the Manufacturer himself!
- In the absolute mess that our world is in, the enemy is seizing the opportunity to do what he does best—steal, kill, and destroy. It is an ___________ to allow Satan to destroy what God has consecrated, what belongs to Him!
- We have been bought with a price—the precious blood of Christ! We can’t earn it. We don’t ________ it. It’s a gift.
- As we let God’s Word _________ our lives, may our epignosis be evident to everyone around us!
|grandparents deserve transform abomination advantages unconditional instruction|
We are excited to announce that we are planning to do evangelism in our community. What a wonderful way to share our faith and invite our neighbors to worship with us! If you’ve always wanted to share the gospel but haven’t had someone to go with, this is your chance! If you’ve always wanted to participate in something like this but haven’t known how to go about it, this is your opportunity to learn! For more information or to express your interest, contact Ken Walugembe @ firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Praise for the continued live-streaming of our services!
6. Pray for all who are fighting flu and Covid-19 viruses.
7. Pray for the Leadership Team meeting on February 8.
8. Continue to pray for our nations and leaders around the world.
February 6: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 3:3-26
February 13: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 3:27-4:25
February 20 Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 5:1-11
February 27: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 5:12-21
CHURCH & OFFICE INFORMATION
- The Church Office is open Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Office phone number: 206-878-4861 // Office email: email@example.com
- Sunday Morning Bible Study: 8:45 a.m. in the Library
- Sunday Morning Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (or online at live.midcov.org)
- Children’s Sunday School: 10:30 a.m. in upstairs classrooms
- Women’s Discipleship Lunch Group: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall
- Midweek Fellowship: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall
- Men’s Bible Study Breakfast Group: Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. at Tuscany’s in Des Moines