Greetings Church Family,
It occurs to me, as I’ve been running all over the place the past several weeks making connections to build up our ministry, that I need to update you on a few things we’ve been working on as well as things to look forward to:
Feeding the Hungry
We have been coordinating with an outreach ministry that cooks hot meals and provides them free of charge while sharing the Gospel and providing various other resources to those who stop by. It is my plan to bring this ministry to our parking lot to evaluate how we can partner together.
We have been working with Union Gospel Mission and are preparing to provide a shower truck on the church premises. This will meet an immediate physical need and also extend a number of other resources (first and foremost being the Gospel) to the community.
Since 2020, we have been relentlessly praying over the north lot and seeking God for direction about how to use it for His glory. I feel a strong inclination that God is leading us to develop a portion of the lot for transitional housing for ministry purposes. We have had numerous conversations with several groups that are willing to participate and partner in this ministry endeavor. Please pray for direction and God’s will in this matter.
Thank you all for your continued prayers and support,
Pastor Shaun Higgins
- Tuesday, May 24 – Outdoor Community Outreach BBQ at Noon!
- Wednesday, May 25 – Last Women’s Discipleship Lunch until Fall!
- Thursday, May 26 – Last Midweek Fellowship/Bible Study until Fall!
- Sunday, June 5 – Pentecost Sunday!
ADULT CHRISTIAN FORMATION STUDY!
From Tomb to Tongues: a 6-week study on the post-resurrection appearances of Jesus
Please join us this Sunday, May 22, at 8:45 a.m., as we continue this series. The tomb is empty—but the Holy Spirit has not yet come! Our Sunday Bible Study is focusing on the post-resurrection appearances of Jesus during the 40 days between his resurrection and his ascension before Pentecost. We will study the significance of each appearance and apply it to our own walk with Christ. This Sunday’s leader will be Brad Hill teaching on Jesus’ Appearance to 500 – The Case for the Resurrection. The text for this lesson will be 1 Corinthians 15.
Please plan to join us on Thursday, May 26, for the last Midweek Fellowship until Fall! We will share a potluck meal at 6 p.m. and then break out for Bible Study from 7-8 p.m. Hope to see you there!
Potluck Details: If your last name begins with A-K, please bring a dessert; L-R, please bring a main dish; S-Z, please bring a side dish.
Bible Study Details: Come join your Midway Family as Gerald MacDicken continues this inspirational journey through these beautiful and inspiring songs of praise, thanksgiving, and lament. Participants are invited to rediscover, or see for the first time, why you can put your hope in Jesus, the Shepherd, Savior and King! If you have any questions, you may email Gerald MacDicken @ email@example.com.
- Don Paige preached from John 11 last week. He spoke about the _______ of meaning behind the famously-short verse: “Jesus wept.”
- Jesus’ weeping was an expression of both sadness and anger—sadness that the much-loved Lazarus had died, and anger that these dear people who had been calling him “Lord” still had no comprehension of who He was and what He was ________ of doing.
- Are we, like these people in Jesus’ day, limiting what Jesus can do in us because we don’t understand who God is, or because we have been __________ the devil’s lies?
- Don shared how he lost sight of God’s grace for awhile. His mind became obsessed with some of those lies: “I’m not worthy!” “Jesus could never love me!” “My life isn’t worth _______!”
- Then he had a wake-up call. In spite of a suicide attempt, his life was spared. With help from God and others, he realized that God ______ is the source of truth.
- Don reminded us that the devil is a roaring lion and is relentlessly trying to destroy all of our ______. He learned of the need to start each day armed with the powerful name of Jesus. When we are confronted by the devil’s lies, we need to order them out “In the name of Jesus!”
- Don said that Thomas has been given a bad ____ over the years as a Doubting Thomas. The fact is, all Thomas ever did was say what everyone else was already thinking—he verbalized his doubts and fears and lack of faith. Jesus understood right where Thomas was at and met him at his point of need, every time.
- Jesus loves you just like that! He is there to meet you, right where you’re at, with exactly what you need. He knows the who, what, when, _______, why, and how of every need you have!
- Why not turn his weeping into rejoicing by accepting His love, ______, and forgiveness?
|living where capable grace lives believing rap depths alone|
We rejoice that we can now worship and sing without masks! For those who want to continue wearing masks for added protection, we encourage you to do so. As our communities recover from the impact of the pandemic, may the Body of Christ at Midway be known for our love for one another!
DONATIONS FOR THE PEOPLE OF UKRAINE
If you would like a way to securely and effectively help the people of Ukraine, Covenant World Relief provides a way to give. Donors can be sure their money is going to bring relief and resources to the people.
1. Praise for the powerful sermon from Don Paige last Sunday!
2. Praise for God’s unmerited, unlimited grace and forgiveness!
3. Pray for the light and love of Jesus to shine to our Midway neighbors as we pursue feeding the hungry and providing hot showers to those in need.
4. Pray for so many in our Midway family who are facing ongoing health issues.
5. Keep praying for the situation in Ukraine.
6. Pray for strength, health, and protection for the first responders & front-line workers in our communities.
7. Keep praying for our nations and leaders around the world.
May 22: Rev. Malcolm Brewer, Philippians 2:12-18, “Let There be Light”
May 29: Rev. Pitshou
June 5: Rev. Shaun Higgins
June 12: Rev. Shaun Higgins
CHURCH & OFFICE INFORMATION
- The Church Office is open Tuesday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Office phone number: 206-878-4861 // Office email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adult Sunday Morning Bible Study: 8:45 a.m. in the Prayer Room
- Sunday Morning Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (or online at live.midcov.org)
- Children’s Sunday School: 10:30 a.m. in upstairs classrooms
- Women’s Discipleship Lunch Group: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall
- Men’s Bible Study Breakfast Group: Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. at Tuscany’s in Des Moines
- Midweek Fellowship: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall