ROMANS: POWER FOR SALVATION!
In this sermon series, we are continuing our study of foundational theological truths for the Christian life, from the sinfulness of humanity to the atoning work of Christ and the transforming power of the Spirit. The Apostle Paul urges us to not simply know about the gospel, but to
let it transform us and let God impact every aspect of our lives!
- Monday, February 21 – Presidents’ Day Holiday!
- Wednesday, February 23 – Women’s Discipleship Group/Lunch!
- Thursday, February 24 – Midweek Fellowship/Bible Study!
ADULT CHRISTIAN FORMATION STUDY!
Theme: Faith in Action – Hebrews 11
Teacher: Brad Hill
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1
In this eight-week series, we are focusing on the heroes and heroines of the faith listed in Hebrews 11, who put their faith into action. Please join us as we put each of these persons into a flowing narrative that not only unifies this concept but also illustrates what “faith in action” looks like and gives us power – not just to emulate them, but through the Holy Spirit, to live a life of empowered faith!
DONATIONS FOR DES MOINES FOOD BANK
We have a donation bin in the Narthex where you can place food and non-food items for the Des Moines Food Bank. Following is a list of needed items:
FOOD–cereal, canned corn, fruit cups, pasta, low-sodium soup
NON-FOOD–laundry detergent, pet food, toilet paper, diapers (size 4,5,6)
We encourage everyone to continue to follow the CDC’s guidelines for indoor gatherings and to take whatever precautions you feel are necessary. Thank you all for your patience and understanding.
Please plan to join us on Thursday, February 24! We will share a potluck meal at 6 p.m. and then break out for Bible Study from 7-8 p.m. Hope to see you there!
Potluck Details: If your last name begins with A-K, please bring a side dish; L-R, please bring a dessert; S-Z, please bring a main dish.
Bible Study Details: Come join your Midway Family as Gerald continues this inspirational journey through these beautiful and inspiring songs of praise, thanksgiving, and lament. Participants are invited to rediscover, or see for the first time, why you can put your hope in Jesus, the Shepherd, Savior and King! If you have any questions, you may email Gerald @ email@example.com.
HIGHLIGHTS OF FEBRUARY 8 LEADERSHIP TEAM MEETING
- Approved supporting Pastor Shaun by providing pulpit coverage while he finishes the ordination
process this spring.
- Approved adjusting our Covenant Properties investment to maximize interest income.
- Approved creation of an Expansion Fund to receive income from non-budgeted sources.
- Discussed the vision for a Christian preschool, emphasizing it will be an evangelistic tool.
- Discussed progress in the intracultural vision and future branding needed.
- Heard updates on landscaping and playground equipment projects.
Ruth Hill, Chair
CALLING ALL YOUTH!
An Invitation for a joint youth night JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
Youth leader Roberto and the youth from Ministerio have invited the youth from Midway and our sister churches to a special youth night on Friday, March 4, at 7 p.m. The theme is: Forming the Character of Christ in me. Don’t miss this opportunity to deepen your relationship with Christ and get to know several more youth!
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE…
An elderly homeowner was sitting on his front porch one afternoon when a young man walked up with a tablet in his hand. “What are you selling?” the homeowner asked.
“I’m not selling anything, sir,” the young man replied. “I’m a census taker.”
“A what?” the homeowner asked.
“A census taker. We’re trying to find out how many people are in the United States.”
“You’re wasting your time with me,” the homeowner declared, “because I have no idea.”
- Pastor Shaun preached from Romans 3:27-4:25 last week. He reminded us that there is only one God but He is not _________ to any one nation or people group. He is the God of all mankind and to all mankind.
- God is good to all, and He loves and blesses all people, even before they give their lives to Him! Matthew 5:45 says, “God gives sunlight to both the good and the evil and causes it to rain on the just and the ______.”
- Romans 3:23 tells us that we are ALL sinners and have ALL fallen short of God’s standards, and ALL means ALL: Abraham, the Psalmist David, you, me, and _________ who has ever walked the face of this earth!
- The good news: No one (no matter the depths of their depravity) is beyond the _____ of God’s redemption!
- The invitation from God’s Word: Receive His gift of salvation – through faith and faith alone! Ephesians 2:8-9 says, “God saves you by his grace when you put your trust in Him. Salvation is a _____ from God, not something you can earn or take credit for.”
- Abraham’s trust in God is given as an example for us. He was 100 years old and his wife Sarah was barren, but God promised him that he would bear a son in his old age! In spite of all the odds and prevailing logic, Abraham ______ to believe God. Verse 20 says, “Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God. He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever He promises.”
- To trust in Him is all He asks us to do! It is all we ____ do! Remember, He is a God who will do what He has promised – against all odds!
|gift can unjust chose exclusive reach everyone|
1. Praise that our God reigns!
2. Pray for all those in our Midway family who are recovering from recent illness. Pray for wisdom for their attending physicians and specialists.
3. Pray for strength, encouragement and protection for our youth as they navigate school challenges every week.
4. Pray for safety and wisdom for the first responders in our communities.
5. Continue to pray for our nations and leaders around the world.
February 20: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 5:1-11
February 27: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 5:12-21
March 6: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 6:1-14
March 13: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Romans 6:15-23
CHURCH & OFFICE INFORMATION
- The Church Office is open Wednesday through Friday this week, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Office phone number: 206-878-4861 // Office email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday Morning Bible Study: 8:45 a.m. in the Library
- Sunday Morning Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (or online at live.midcov.org)
- Children’s Sunday School: 10:30 a.m. in upstairs classrooms
- Women’s Discipleship Lunch Group: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall
- Men’s Bible Study Breakfast Group: Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. at Tuscany’s in Des Moines
- Midweek Fellowship: Thursdays at 6:00 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall