Newsletter for December 5-11, 2021
THE SEASON OF ADVENT
Twinkling lights and candles everywhere remind us that Jesus is the light of the world – He came to dispel the darkness! Did you know: The theme of light is what originally gave birth to the Advent wreath hundreds of years ago in Germany. The Advent Wreath is typically an evergreen wreath with five candles. Each candle is lit on a subsequent Sunday during Advent. For hundreds of years, Christians have continued to observe the four weeks leading up to Christmas Day as a time to prepare and quiet our hearts, set aside the hectic pace of the holiday season, and worship Jesus, God’s Son. The practice of lighting candles and reading selected scriptures on the four Sundays leading up to Christmas Day has become a beloved tradition in many churches and homes!
December 5 is the first Sunday of the month, and we have the privilege of celebrating communion together. If you will be joining the service via live-stream, you are encouraged to prepare in advance.
- Sunday, December 5 – Communion Sunday! Celebrate December Birthdays! Leadership Team Meeting!
- Wednesday, December 15 – Make Gingerbread Houses!
- Sunday, December 19 – Joint Service!
- Saturday, December 25 – Christmas Day Celebration!
Don’t forget your masks! For the health and safety of all, particularly those in our church family with fragile or compromised immune systems, we at Midway are continuing the mask-wearing protocol. Thank you all for your patience and consideration for one another!
GIVING AWAY LIBRARY BOOKS!
If you find yourself wishing you had an interesting new book to read, you’re in good company. It just so happens that there are several avid readers amongst us. Well, readers of all ages, take heart, because we have an offer you may not be able to refuse. Our library shelves are filled with a wide variety of books for all ages, and we want to give them all away! Starting on Sunday after church, you are invited to browse the bookshelves and help yourselves to a book or two – or five.J
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE…
A 10-year-old boy named Jimmy was reluctant to thank God for protecting him after he had a close call. The boy and his dad were in an old ‘57 truck on a narrow country road when the passenger door, which hadn’t been closed all the way, flew open. The boy held onto it while his dad quickly brought the truck to a halt. During bedtime prayers, his mom suggested, “Jimmy, why don’t you thank God for saving your life today?” “What for?” he asked. “I was the one holding the door!”
OUTDOOR BENCH INSTALLATION NEXT SATURDAY!
Next Saturday, December 11, you are invited to join Aydan Hoyt and his dad, Stephen, as they accomplish Aydan’s Eagle Scout project of assembling and installing small tables and benches on the church property. Meet-up time is 9:00 a.m., tools will be provided, and the Hoyt’s will have snacks and pizza for all volunteers!
COVENANT NEWS FROM AROUND THE SOUND AND BEYOND… From the Paul Carlson Foundation (a Covenant mission in the Congo)
The PCF is a branch of Serve Globally for the Evangelical Covenant Conference. They have been busy this year! New bridges, more clean water, great coffee, return of medical ambassadors…the efforts of the Paul Carlson Foundation have been extremely blessed and fruitful in 2021!
JOINT SERVICE ON DECEMBER 19!
Mark your calendars for our next joint service on Sunday, December 19, at 10 a.m. We will join together with our sister churches for a much-anticipated service of worship and praise to God for the gift of his Son, Jesus Christ! At this service, expect to experience the wonder of the Christmas season through the eyes and hearts of each of our sister churches!
A CHRISTMAS DAY CELEBRATION YOU WON’T WANT TO MISS!
Mark your calendars for a special time of celebration you won’t want to miss! On Saturday, December 25, the Marshallese United Church of Christ is having a Christmas celebration here at Midway, and everyone is invited! Stay tuned; more details to follow.
CARING DRIVERS NEEDED!
An opportunity awaits! We have a few homebound members who would love to attend services but have no means of transport on Sunday mornings. If the Lord is putting it on your heart to serve in this way by picking someone up on the way to church and then dropping them off afterwards, please let Pastor Shaun or Lori-Lee know!
1. Praise for the growing number of prayer warriors in our midst!
2. Praise for the incredible youth in our church family – each and every one of them!
3. Pray for all those in our church family who are sick or recovering from illness or surgery.
4. Continue to pray for nations and leaders around the world, that they look to the Lord for guidance and surround themselves with wise, godly advisers.
December 5: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Luke 3:1-6
December 12: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Luke 3:7-18
December 19: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Luke 1:39-45
CHURCH & OFFICE INFORMATION
- The Church Office is open Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Office phone number: 206-878-4861 // Office email: email@example.com
- Sunday Morning Adult Bible Study: 8:45 a.m. in the Narthex
- Sunday Morning Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (or online at live.midcov.org)
- Children’s Sunday School upstairs at 10:30 a.m.
- Women’s Discipleship Lunch Group: Thursday at 11:00 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall
- Midweek Fellowship: on break until January
- Men’s Bible Study Breakfast Group: Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. at Tuscany’s in Des Moines