SERMON SERIES FROM 1 PETER
This “Stand Firm” series focuses on how a Christian can stand firm and unwavering against expected persecution and false teaching. Even though fiery trials, opposition and heresy can envelop our lives in a variety of ways, we can have hope in the fact that it is all for the strengthening of our faith and refinement of our hearts. This series offers encouragement and peace to those walking through times of difficulty. The apostle Peter gives us reason to “proclaim the praises of Him who called us out of darkness into His marvelous light.”
- Sunday, July 18 – Semi-annual Meeting after morning service!
- Sunday, July 25 – All (five) churches Sunday! BBQ after service!
- Sunday, August 1 – Youth Sunday!
JOINT SERVICE/BBQ ON SUNDAY, JULY 25!
Our next joint service is just one week away! We are excited about worshipping together with sister churches Ministerio, Bridge of Grace, Spirit and Truth Worship, and City of Rain. Please plan to stay for a pull-out-all-the-stops BBQ following the service! The meat and BBQ are being provided by Spirit and Truth Worship. Update about side dishes/desserts:
So that we are not overwhelmed with too many dishes, each of the other four churches are to bring three side dishes and one dessert. Those who prepare them will want to make enough to serve 20-30 people. Midway families, we already have 2 side dishes covered! Thank you, Dupleich family, for bringing potato salad to serve 30! Thank you, Kelley family, for bringing tabouli salad to serve 30! From Midway, we just need one more side dish and one dessert! Please call Lori-Lee in the office if you’d like to sign up for one of these last two needs.
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE…
One Sunday after church, a mother stopped at a Target store with her young boy. As they shopped for grocery items, the boy happened to hear a woman in the store call her husband by the name “Daniel.” “Are you from the Lion’s Den?” the boy asked.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM JULY 13 LEADERSHIP TEAM MEETING
- Income met budget May and June, thanks to income from outside sources (e.g. rental of church for a funeral).
- United Church of Christ from Marshall Islands has expressed interest in joining Midway’s intracultural vision. We are exploring entering into a year’s rental agreement.
- We discussed a meeting between two representatives from Kingdom City Houston, a union of 12 congregations, including a Covenant church, and us. We will send Pastor Shaun there for a visit in October to learn more.
- We spent the majority of our time discussing how to strengthen Sunday morning worship. We approved funding two vocalists.
- We approved purchase of translation equipment, both for immediate needs in joint services and for long term anticipated needs.
- We approved purchase and installation of fencing for south end of property.
Ruth Hill, Chair
UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST VISITORS
We invited our Marshallese friends to sit in on the planning meeting for our upcoming joint service to give them a better glimpse of who we all are. Not only did they come, but they concluded the meeting with a surprise that blessed us! Their visiting families sang beautiful, joy-filled songs of praise in Marshallese accompanied by ukulele. Then these lovely guests presented us with gorgeous macramé necklaces, along with seashell crowns for the ladies. We were blessed beyond measure by their humble, generous spirits and joy-filled praise songs!
Fill in the blanks using the words in the box below.
Last Sunday, Pastor Shaun preached on 1 Peter chapter 1. The apostle Peter wrote this letter at a time of increasing persecution to the early church. He wanted to ________ believers to stand fast in their faith. He reminds them they are exiles, i.e. foreigners or temporary residents, in the land. He urges them to not to lose sight of the fact that what is imperishable is what is most important. He spoke of the living _____ they now have through the sprinkled blood of the Lamb of God. As Pastor Shaun explained, this living hope is not just automatically acquired; it requires action! The ________ then, and we today, must receive the gift—Jesus Christ—so that we can experience the new birth that faith in Him brings about. As Pastor Shaun said, “It is folly to put our faith in a haven (of temporary financial value) rather than in heaven. In contrast to the _______ pleasures and happiness of external factors (good weather, bonuses, a sports team winning), Pastor Shaun spoke of the lasting joy we can have as believers, a joy that remains regardless of the ____ and downs of life. Why do we greatly rejoice? Because God, the Creator of the universe, loves us! As Pastor Shaun repeatedly said, “The ____ is the Giver!”
|fleeting believers encourage ups gift hope|
SUMMER YOUTH GROUP!
The youth group is meeting twice a month throughout the summer. Our next meeting is Thursday, July 29th, from 3-5 pm. In August, we will meet on Wednesdays from 3-5 pm–August 11th and 25th. Bring a friend! J
HELPING HANDS BULLETIN BOARD!
Check it out … “As each part of the Body does its work, the whole Body grows stronger in love.” –Ephesians 4:16
THANK YOU TO…
Don for installing the handrail in front of the church!
The anonymous donor of the air conditioner for an upstairs classroom!
Pastor Shaun, MJ, and Re’uven for shampooing the church carpets!
Marlys and Karen for your hands-on help in the office and with bulletin boards!
Dale for working on installing a replacement window in the portable!
Coe for cleaning the windows at the front entrance of the church!
Dennis for the incredible progress you are making clearing the grounds on the NW corner of the church property!
Grace Lutheran for loaning us an easel for the funeral last week!
Dale and Holly for donating a vacuum for our upstairs cleaning needs!
1. Praise for the growing number of volunteers who are ministering in their gift-areas to bless us all!
2. Pray for the joint service next Sunday with our sister churches! Pray for those from our community to hear and respond to the gospel.
3. Pray for the love and light of Jesus to shine forth from the churches in Des Moines and surrounding areas.
4. Continue to pray for our nation and world.
July 18: Rev. Shaun Higgins, 1 Peter 2:1-25
July 25: Rev. Shaun Higgins, Matthew 17:1-13
August 1: Rev. Shaun Higgins, 1 Peter 3:1-22
August 8: Rev. Shaun Higgins, 1 Peter 4:1-19
CHURCH & OFFICE INFORMATION
- The Church Office is open Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Office phone number: 206-878-4861 // Office email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday Morning Worship Service: 10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary (or online at live.midcov.org)
- Children’s Sunday School upstairs at 10:30 a.m.
- Women’s Discipleship Lunch Group: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall
- Men’s Bible Study Breakfast Group: Thursdays at 8:00 a.m. at Tuscany’s in Des Moines