May 25, 2020
LET’S WELCOME PASTOR DEB!
An Evite was sent to all in our Midway Covenant Family who have an email address, inviting you to participate in the Drive-By Welcome Reception for Pastor Deb on May 31 at 2 PM. Your prompt reply will help organizers of the event prepare well. To participate, all you need to do is prepare a sign with your name on it, drive to the church Sunday afternoon at 2 PM, join the parade passing in front of the church entrance, and when it’s your turn, exit your car, greet her and show her your sign! Also, if you know someone who will need assistance to be part of this event and are willing to include them in your car, please indicate the total number in your party on the Evite.
A WORD ABOUT REGATHERING
In light of the statement from our President regarding allowing churches to hold services this weekend, the Leadership Team will be discussing how to move forward towards a safe way and a safe time to begin phasing in regathering. It will be helpful to envision this as happening in phases, not as a “grand opening”. With continued acknowledgement of the counsel of medical experts, we will put the safety of our attendees as our highest priority. May we follow Christ’s example so powerfully expressed in Philippians 2:1-4. “Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”
Ruth Hill, Leadership Team Chair
UPDATE FROM LORI-LEE MORSE, CHILDREN’S MINISTRY
In the Children’s Ministry Department, we are cleaning and prepping classrooms for the eventual return of children’s programs to our church building. To stay connected during the interim, I am communicating with our kids online. May I just say – What a delightful group of children to work with! Currently we are doing a “Digging Deeper” series which expands on each Sunday’s sermon with follow-up questions and activities. My expectations for kids participation is low, because I know they’re already on overload with online schoolwork and Zoom meetings. That said, I’ve been so impressed with our kids responses and participation! As an example, I had asked kids to think of a place where they’ve felt close to God. One of our kids replied, “In a beautiful Garden because the pretty flowers make me think of how much God loves us, and when we take care of the flowers, it makes me think of how God takes care of us!” Did that warm your heart as it did mine?
With gratitude, Lori-Lee Morris.
FALL RETREAT UPDATE FROM WOMEN MINISTRIES OF PACNWC
The Retreat Planning Team for the Pacific Northwest Conference Fall Retreat has come to the difficult and painful decision to postpone the 2020 Retreat until fall of 2021. The primary concern is for the health and safety of everyone. The dates for the 2021 Retreat are September 17-19; it will be the 101st anniversary of Women Ministries in the PacNWC with a theme of “Generation to Generation.”
Happy Birthday to…
- Alaina Dungan – May 28
- Sharon Lambuth – May 28
- Josh Kelley – May 31
- May 24: “The Cost of Witnessing,” John 16:1-6, by Ken Walugembe. Watch online at midcov.org/sermons.
- May 31, PENTECOST SUNDAY: “As the Spirit Enabled Them,” Acts 2:1-4, by Ruth Hill. Do you know John 3:16 in a foreign language? Let the office know and Join others participating in the service!
PLEASE PRAY FOR…
- Pastor Deb as she moves to our area in just one more week
- Rosemary Maulden, moving to Wesley Terrace on June 11
- Harold Ulfers and others in retirement homes with strict safety measures
- to Joan Bailik for helping organize the Drive-By Reception for Pastor Deb!
- to Ministerio volunteers who worked in the yard Saturday!
- To Betsey Grayson for suggesting the addition of birthdays and anniversaries, as well as upcoming sermon information to the e-newsletter! Have your own suggestion? Send it to email@example.com.
WAYS TO CONTINUE SUPPORTING MIDWAY COVENANT
Being unable to gather has significantly impacted our giving to Midway Covenant. THANK YOU to each of you who have found an alternate way to maintain your faithful giving! To help you find a new rhythm in your support of Midway Covenant, here again are options for you:
- Give online at https://go.midcov.org/give
- Set up a monthly transfer of funds with your bank
- Mail a check to the church office: 22460 24th Ave. So., Des Moines, WA 98198